Re: Humanity's biggest mistake

The invention of the television.

If Kevin Costner were a super hero, his super power would be the ability to always find a rope of proper length and tensility coiled at his feet.

Originally posted by: LiQuiDcHeEsE

Aren't you going to follow that up with any kind of explanation?  In light of all the wars and genocides, you feel TV is the worst thing humanity has accomplished in the last 100 years?  How much better off do you think we'd be without TV?  I don't know your life that well but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you own and use a television yourself quite often, so I'm wondering just how passionately you believe television is an evil to our society.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/happytuesday/devilsadvocate.png

Originally posted by: Krall

Aren't you going to follow that up with any kind of explanation?  In light of all the wars and genocides, you feel TV is the worst thing humanity has accomplished in the last 100 years?  How much better off do you think we'd be without TV?  I don't know your life that well but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you own and use a television yourself quite often, so I'm wondering just how passionately you believe television is an evil to our society.

it's the small evils that are the worst tongue

and yes, of course there are plenty of spin-off technologies that I use that are rooted in television.  Computers, video games, movies.  So I do use the TV a lot. 

But as far as Television programming itself goes... no, actually I hate using the television.  My girlfriend watches it to wind down before bed, and watching it does little more for me than build a slowly growing rage and cynicism at our society.  ...Are people really dumb enough to buy this product?... Are people really that bored that they'd find American Idol a worthy investment of their time?

as for WHY I think it's evil in particular, it brainwashes people in ways they don't even realize.  I have friends who don't even act like humans- they act like they're on a reality-TV show.  They make everything drama simply to add some spice to their life, they respond to stress in the exact same way TV stars do.  And NO, that's not how people really act- unless they've watched too much television.

One particular friend- the worst memory I have of her is walking through the room, and she's sitting there watching TV.  She's not doing anything that really should be angering me, but the blank look in her face, the passive brain-dead soaking in of whatever the programmers decided was important for her to watch, just pissed me off (and i have other bad memories of this friend, but I really couldn't stand to look at her at that point.) 

Have you ever watched people watching TV? It's rather disgusting really.

I think it's changing the way we act, the way we think, what we believe, and it's crushing our motivation to be more than we are.  It's making America a passive and stupid society. 

maybe I'm giving humanity too much credit, and we were all like this before the television arrived.  But even if that's the case, mass media is directing our ...sheepyness... in directions that aren't natural.

as to why I outrank television as worse than say, the holocaust....  Yes there are far worse things that humanity has done in the past 100 years, but it's nothing we haven't been doing since the start of human history.  Television, however, has been a pandora's box that will forever effect the way humanity views the world and themselves.  And as television is designed to sell (no TV shows would happen without advertising,)  it's directing our mindsets into very shallow channels.  Whereas the holocaust has had countless events similar to it throughout history, never before have we had an invention that will actually de-evolve us.

as a side note, Did you know that Nixon was way ahead of Kennedy in polls, until the first ever Televised presidential debate aired? ...The debate had an old, hot from the lights, sweaty, wrinkly, make-up dripping, unattractive Nixon up against a well put together, young, smiling JFK.  It turned the election around for Kennedy.  thsoe who listened to the debate on the radio said that Nixon won hands down- because they were actually LISTENING to what was being said instead of staring blankly at a screen.  Those who saw the debate on television said Kennedy won hands down.

So basically, before you say that I'm overrating TV's influence, realize it has already changed the course of political history at least once, and probably has several times.  Kennedy brought in the era of "look good and you can be a serious candidate" politics.

And as far as my usage of the "television" goes (aka, computer monitor), many of the arguments do in fact apply.  I know I could be doing a lot more with my life if i didn't have say 100+ days logged on WoW.  it's not something I like to think about, but if I were to be perfectly honest with myself, the monitor is making me a lot less than I could be.  I coudl spend my time working out, reading, writing, studying, hanging out with other people.  Every problem I have with myself (slightly overweight, sometimes anti-social, not motivated, claim to be a writer when I do very little writing, never having enough time to read everything I want, sometimes Under-educated, lazy, etc)  Every problem I have with myself could be helped if I'd spend my time in other ways than playing WoW.  So no, I'm not just pointing fingers.

I feel i have more to say but it's late and I have to get to bed.

If Kevin Costner were a super hero, his super power would be the ability to always find a rope of proper length and tensility coiled at his feet.

it's crushing our motivation to be more than we are.  It's making America a passive and stupid society.

I disagree with this argument. I think that the exact opposite is true; tv sets unattainable standards and people work obsessively to reach them without any chance of ever succeeding. But because the emphasis is on goals that have no real use for humanity (such as physical beauty standards), the end effect the same: a passive and stupid society.

I agree that tv programming is horrible, and I dont have cable in my house nor do I feel any need to get it. There are a handful of shows that I do like to watch, and I watch them on my pc. I cant really tolerate advertisements anymore when I am watching at someone else's house, every advertisement makes me cringe.

All things considered though, I do think that the TV (and the gianormous boost of globalization that it gave) has had a positive influence on the world.

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~aabbo/misc/YummySig.png

The holocaust.
The invention of nuclear weaponry.

I'm split on the two...
Hindsight can be depressing.

Letting people like the Kardashians and Paris Hilton and Snookie be rich and famous.

http://www.lusogamer.com/live/xbox_2/gamercard_default_compact/DKardinal.png