Topic: WoW character customizer

Earth & Beyond have released a small program for download which basically lets you make and customize a character.

You think they will do that for wow? Personally I would spend about 2 hours customizing...

:: Tapek

Re: WoW character customizer

Well, I believe that there wont be much customisation at the beginning of the game, except for choosing race and class, and things like hair cut and skin colour. Must of the customisation with skills and abilities will probably be during the game since you'll gradually earn them.

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~aabbo/misc/YummySig.png

I think all of the WoW character customization will be in-game.  A lot of the aspects to your character's look which can be adjusted have been announced, like hair, face, skin/fur color, and other little race-specific ambiences like the length of the Tauren horns.  I'm guessing Blizzard wants to strike a balance between giving the player the ability to create a truly unique-looking hero, and setting some standards so that anyone in the world should still be able to identify your race and class with just a look.  I've noticed in a lot of the screenshots that all of the basic models for each race/gender combo look pretty much the same in size and proportion.  So you're probably going to have a mold to work with, but lots of details here and there to tweak and personalize the model you're working with.

ever play Phantasy Star online?

they had the neato option of a porportion changer

so you could make a guy, adjust him to be tall and skinny, short and fat, short and skinny, etc. (it automatically changes all of the body, not just the arms or whatnot)

o

if you have ever played wwf smackdown just bring it for playstation 2 than you know the definition of character customization. it is definately the pinnacle of the feature. i think blizzard should talk to THQ and get some tips imho. i personally want to customize my character right down to how far his lips part when he speaks smile

[i]...this prattle bores me...
http://www.strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/alphacrackz/fullsize/bloodmage3.jpg
[size=1]"Embrace this moment... Remember, we are eternal... All this pain is an illusion." [/size][/i]

Originally posted by TheMightyOrkachu
ever play Phantasy Star online?

they had the neato option of a porportion changer

so you could make a guy, adjust him to be tall and skinny, short and fat, short and skinny, etc. (it automatically changes all of the body, not just the arms or whatnot)

Indeed, and you started to see some really wacky characters running around because of it.  Like I said, it's important to strike a balance between individuality and realism in the world context.  Blizzard doesn't want people playing pink Orcs the size of midgets and Dwarves stretched so thin and tall they could be mistaken for bearded Elves.  And again, I'm noticing in a lot of the screenshots that the proportion of the characters is not really different from one to the other of the same type.  They still want to force every character to be believable, and their race/class to be identifiable.

And they did mention customizable tattoos didn't they?

That oughta be cool...

I always wanted a tattoo but it would severly get in the way of my career options which sux yikes

Trisfae

http://members.shaw.ca/Trisfae/pics/wowsig.jpg

Tattoos will be in, and it makes me wonder if they won't be something you can edit/add to your character within the game itself, with some Tattoo Artistry skill similar to the one I've seen mentioned in Star Wars Galaxies.  However, I don't know if all races will have tattoos available to them; it might not be themely for some of them.  Still, I can imagine characters from every race announced so far sporting body art of one manner or another.

will we be able to Customize Tatoos? if yes that would be dead fakin nice, if they did Character Customization with Dungeon Siege why not on a more advanced game like WoW?

There will probably be a range of tattoos to choose from during character creation for those races which can use them.  It's not certain yet whether you can adjust or add tattoos to your character later on in the game, but it would seem like an ideal purpose for a secondary skill.  Creating your own graphics could bet sketchy as well, but if there is support for something like in the Guild Tabbards, it wouldn't be difficult to extend the option to tattoos as well.

hehehehe tatoos I already have an Idea for my tatoos...

The customization of the characters will be one of the biggest parts in the game.  I hope that blizzard puts enough time in making the customization part of the game so complex that not very many people will look the same.

http://www.fischerfam.net/images/junk/gayPride1.jpg  http://www.fischerfam.net/images/junk/gayPride2.jpg

Wow, I just realized that in all the times I've read this thread I never posted in it!!! So... yeah... I think the character customization will be pretty kewl!!! And so will tattoo's! big_smile

Personally I'm sorta hoping for scars too... I want battle wounds, but I doubt that will happen!

"Luck is merely a losers excuse for a winners success."

I'm sure I saw some of the older Orc models sporting scars here and there in early screenshots.  I wouldn't be surprised if it were just as much an option as well smile  Though your character never ages, it doesn't mean you can't render him/her in a physical manner that suggests age or experience.

I'm sure scars will be a customizing option (which will make me partially happy) but I'd really love to see an option that would allow you to keep certain scars you have gained through battle!!! That's what I doubt, although I think it would be really kewl.

Yea but Wildkarrde, you'd have so many scars from getting beat up by level one murlochs that you'd be unrecognizable by the end of the first week of beta that you'd have to make a new char tongue

All joking aside, scars would definitely be sweet but I don't think it is very practical to implement it.  Just image all the scars you'd receive, since you'd be taking damage no matter how powerful you are.  And having a scar for each time you die or something is still unfeasible because some ppl may be total noobs and just go and die over and over >:(

However, adding scars on yourself for character customization is interesting...though scarring yourself isn't something everyone should participated in wink

As for tattoos, I was hoping for something like having them uncustomizable, and from the start have a preset of tattoos we all choose from, and as you grow in levels and perhaps learn the arts of body art you are allowed even cooler tattoos over time.  And even to take it further, once you beat a certain high level mob, you are entitled to choose tattoo that will illustrate to others you are such and such and can kick bum smile

That way you can be all cool sitting in a bar and as people come in, they'd see your tattoo and go "ooohhh"  "ahhhh".

On a side note, I hope they make it so your stats and level aren't available to all players.  Unless of course you are partied with them...

I want privacy!  Even if it is a MMORPG.
I'm gonna buy a home and stash all my money in a sock underneath the bed tongue

Trisfae

http://members.shaw.ca/Trisfae/pics/wowsig.jpg

True, registering and retaining scars as you actually engage monsters in the game would be a nightmare of programming and presentation.  Your favorite orc, human, or tauren would be running about looking like it had an unfriendly encounter with Freddy Krueger, and that would be by Level 2 wink  In a game where you're playing a character who is constantly fighting, dying, and being reborn beyond the realm of realism, it doesn't make sense to extrapolate the process into a permanent condition.

I do see scars (and general signs of experience and age) as a default look for your character during intitial customization a very strong feature.  Another interesting idea for scars would be to couple them with bloodied gashes, bruises, and rips in clothing in a graphical representation of your character's actual level of health; as a hero becomes beaten down, he or she actually *looks* it, and if slain and resurrected or healed in any way, will eventually return to their normal appearance.  But in the standard downtime regenerative process prevailent in most MMORPGs, it'd be a little silly to watch these cuts automatically sew themselves back up like every hero had a mutant healing factor straight out of Marvel comics.

Man, the more I read about this game, and MMORPG's in general, the more it makes me want to play one NOW instead of waiting for WoW.  It's sounding more and more like you're actually in another world the more I hear about it smile 

I like the customizable tattoo idea.  I can see why you'd like set tattoos based on level, but in real life, when you get a tattoo, it's a personal decision, and it reflects something about yourself usually, even if it's just something you thought was "cool."  So I think you could add it into the story of your character somehow, if you gave him/her a customized tattoo that represented something for that character.  Either way, it would be pretty damn cool big_smile

If you want to play an MMORPG now, mush, I would recommend Dark Age of Camelot.  There are quite a few out there, but it's generally regarded as the best of the current generation, and the only thing since Everquest that brought anything new to the table.  It's been out a year now, long enough to build a playerbase and for the development team to perform some of those crucial post-launch balancing changes, and it also just released its first expansion that added new races, classes, and regions to the game, while also updating the graphics engine and throwing in other neat little things.  Shrouded Isles is a bit like DAoC's Shadows of Luclin, so it's just a good time to get in on DAoC in general...or come back to it.

Some say Star Wars Galaxies will be the next big thing, too.  But it's still a ways down the road, so if you want something for the Christmas break, come play DAoC with me big_smile  Play in Midgard on the Pellinor server and you can meet my usual character, Grimmoch, and join the Thor'S Armies guild if you wish smile

I just saw an awesome pic of a dragon in DAoC!! What's the pricing on that game? How much does the software cost? Any free months? What are the monthly pricing plans? How much is each one? I've sorta been considering it a little lately....

Originally posted by WildKarrde
I just saw an awesome pic of a dragon in DAoC!! What's the pricing on that game? How much does the software cost? Any free months? What are the monthly pricing plans? How much is each one? I've sorta been considering it a little lately....

Does DAoC have those "Game Cards" that you can purchase from retail stores?

:: Tapek

w00t i hope not remember the poke'mon crap that cost what